Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to COMSOL Multiphysics. I have a 2D geometry in which I want to create a mesh with the node parameters (like node co-ordinates) that I can define. Can I do that?

3 Replies Last Post Aug 17, 2011, 2:16 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 13, 2011, 1:57 p.m. EDT
Hi

you have different options, a geometrical point, defined as the intersection of two (or more) lines will enforce a "hard point" node during the meshing. You can also use the "distribution" subnode in COMSOL Mesh nodes, to define the coordinates of nodes along a line etc

These appraoches have always been sufficient for my meshing cases

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have different options, a geometrical point, defined as the intersection of two (or more) lines will enforce a "hard point" node during the meshing. You can also use the "distribution" subnode in COMSOL Mesh nodes, to define the coordinates of nodes along a line etc These appraoches have always been sufficient for my meshing cases -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 15, 2011, 6:55 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thank you for the information. But can you please help me by elaborating this method by using the 'Distribution' subnode in Mesh.

Actually, I have a 3D model of a solid rotor. I extracted the co-ordinates of the mesh through MATLAB. Through a simple MATLAB script I got the the co-ordinates of the nodes in one of the cross-section of the rotor (i.e. in z=0 plane). Now I want to use those co-ordinates ( x & y co-ordinates) to draw a mesh on the 2D model of the same rotor ( that would somehow be a simple circle in which I would like to create a mesh).

I am obliged to have your suggestion previously and will appreciate it if you could help me again.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Ivar, Thank you for the information. But can you please help me by elaborating this method by using the 'Distribution' subnode in Mesh. Actually, I have a 3D model of a solid rotor. I extracted the co-ordinates of the mesh through MATLAB. Through a simple MATLAB script I got the the co-ordinates of the nodes in one of the cross-section of the rotor (i.e. in z=0 plane). Now I want to use those co-ordinates ( x & y co-ordinates) to draw a mesh on the 2D model of the same rotor ( that would somehow be a simple circle in which I would like to create a mesh). I am obliged to have your suggestion previously and will appreciate it if you could help me again. Thanks in advance!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 17, 2011, 2:16 a.m. EDT
Hi

COMSOL is not really set up to work on the meshing like that. Why exactly do you want to access the nodes to copy the mesh like that ?. You have the "copy" mesh function in the mesher, if you are working on the same geometry.

As in COMSOL you define the physics on the geometric "Entities" the mesh does not have the same importance than in older FEM programmes, where everything was "fixed onto the mesh", and meshing was the first operation done

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL is not really set up to work on the meshing like that. Why exactly do you want to access the nodes to copy the mesh like that ?. You have the "copy" mesh function in the mesher, if you are working on the same geometry. As in COMSOL you define the physics on the geometric "Entities" the mesh does not have the same importance than in older FEM programmes, where everything was "fixed onto the mesh", and meshing was the first operation done -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.