Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

integration coupling variables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I'm trying to solve a 2D scalar advection-diffusion equation (in PDE mode) with internal periodic boundaries to mimic extraction and injection of a scalar from the 2D plane (with appropriate flow field specified apriori), i.e. scalar is extracted at one circular boundary and injected at another. The 2D domain is closed with homogeneous Neumann bc's so mass conservation is expected.

This works fine when using periodic boundaries (although mass conservation is not great), however I want to use integration coupling so to mimic complete mixing prior to re-injection of scalar. I can implement this using integration coupling of the scalar concentration at the outlet (no need to integrate scalar flux as flow at each boundary is axisymmetric), however the total reinjected scalar is now significantly reduced (i.e. mass conservation is woeful).

Do anyone have any ideas where I might be going wrong? Thanks in advance,

Dan

0 Replies Last Post Aug 16, 2011, 11:35 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Lester

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.