Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mode analysis for hollow core photonic crystal fiber

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Is there anyone has experience doing mode analysis for the hollow core photoni crystal fiber? I tried to build the model but cannot find the confined mode although I am pretty sure the parameters I chose will lead to confined mode at 1.55 um according to the literature. Thanks!

Best,

Leo

3 Replies Last Post Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 22, 2011, 5:22 p.m. EDT
Please help me! Here is my .mph file. Thanks!
Please help me! Here is my .mph file. Thanks!

Sílvia M. G. Rodrigues

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 14, 2013, 4:11 p.m. EST
Hello, I have the same problem:

I'm trying to analyze a hollow core PCF but I can't find the modes in the center, although they must exist with my parameters. I've tried to use as the study mode: "mode analysis", "frequncy domain", etc. but changing that doesn't solve my problem. I've read and successfully followed the tutorials "photonic_crystal" and "step_index_fiber", which are helpful, but their study cases are different from mine.
In the hollow core PCF we need to find a solution for a wave that travels perpendicularly to the cross sectional area (in opposition to the situation in the "photonic_cystal" model)...

Xuan Yang, did you find a solution to our problem? Or someone else can help us?

Thank you in advance.
Hello, I have the same problem: I'm trying to analyze a hollow core PCF but I can't find the modes in the center, although they must exist with my parameters. I've tried to use as the study mode: "mode analysis", "frequncy domain", etc. but changing that doesn't solve my problem. I've read and successfully followed the tutorials "photonic_crystal" and "step_index_fiber", which are helpful, but their study cases are different from mine. In the hollow core PCF we need to find a solution for a wave that travels perpendicularly to the cross sectional area (in opposition to the situation in the "photonic_cystal" model)... Xuan Yang, did you find a solution to our problem? Or someone else can help us? Thank you in advance.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 p.m. EST
Hi,
I saw your model. Its fine. But you have done some mistakes of your model.
First of all, in parameter section you select lambda. Change lambda with lam or any other than lambda.
In material section, you didnot choose material refractive index. but you have to choose refractive index for both silica and air.
In electromagnetic wave+ wave equation+ displace field section, you have to choose refractive index.

Hope it will work.
Hi, I saw your model. Its fine. But you have done some mistakes of your model. First of all, in parameter section you select lambda. Change lambda with lam or any other than lambda. In material section, you didnot choose material refractive index. but you have to choose refractive index for both silica and air. In electromagnetic wave+ wave equation+ displace field section, you have to choose refractive index. Hope it will work.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.