Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ERROR in an Elastoplastic problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I’m trying to solve an elasto-plastic problem in 3D.
I want to define the plastic performance of the material by Johnson & Cook’s law. This law says that the Yield Stress depends on temperature, plastic strain and strain rate.

To simplify the problem, at first I am going to introduce only the dependence with the plastic strain (avoiding strain rate and temperature).

So the constitutive equation is:

Yield stress=A+B*plastic_strain^n
Where A [MPa], B [MPa] and n [ ] are material constants.

In COMSOL, defining the plasticity model:
- Yield stress level=A
- Isotropic hardening -> Hardening function=B*mod1.solid.epe^n

The value of “n” is 0,26.

When the model is solved I get the ERROR that follows:

“Attempt to evaluate negative power of zero.
- Function: ^
Failed to evaluate temporary symbolic derivative variable.
- Variable: mod1.solid.sY@VDN$mod1.solid.epe
- Defined as: (((mod1.solid.epe^(n-1))*n)*B)
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: d(d(mod1.solid.sY^2,mod1.solid.sY),mod1.solid.epe)”

But this error doesn’t occur when n>=1.

What could be the possible reason for this error? How could I avoid it?

Thanks!

Itxaso

3 Replies Last Post May 20, 2016, 6:07 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2011, 9:50 a.m. EDT
COMSOL is probably trying to calculate the derivative d_Sigma/d_Epsilon which is infinite at zero plastic_strain for n<1. The plasticity model is otherwise well behaved, so consider modifying the equation to something like:

Yield stress = A + B*(plastic_strain + residual_plastic_strain)^n

where residual_plastic_strain is a small number that helps avoid the singularity.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
COMSOL is probably trying to calculate the derivative d_Sigma/d_Epsilon which is infinite at zero plastic_strain for n

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 22, 2011, 4:18 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much, Nagi!

I applied what you said and I got another error message:
"Attempt to evaluate non-integral power of negative number"
so in order to avoid negative numbers (plastic strain sometimes becomes slightly negative...), I defined the equation as "A+B*abs(solid.epe)^n". But it appeared again the first error...
Finally, my equation is:

A+B*(abs(solid.epe)+epsilon)^n
and now it works!

Itxaso
Thank you very much, Nagi! I applied what you said and I got another error message: "Attempt to evaluate non-integral power of negative number" so in order to avoid negative numbers (plastic strain sometimes becomes slightly negative...), I defined the equation as "A+B*abs(solid.epe)^n". But it appeared again the first error... Finally, my equation is: A+B*(abs(solid.epe)+epsilon)^n . and now it works! Itxaso

Posted: 8 years ago May 20, 2016, 6:07 a.m. EDT
I also got same problem and is solved by following.
A+B*(abs(solid.epe)+epsilon)^n

when i added strain rare variable(eperate), with defining arguments for strain and strain rate as 1,1/s
i got following error
Function called with wrong number of arguments.
- Function name: comp1.mat5.ElastoplasticModel.sig_h
- Number of arguments used: 1
- Number of arguments expected: 2
I am not able to identify the error.
I also got same problem and is solved by following. A+B*(abs(solid.epe)+epsilon)^n when i added strain rare variable(eperate), with defining arguments for strain and strain rate as 1,1/s i got following error Function called with wrong number of arguments. - Function name: comp1.mat5.ElastoplasticModel.sig_h - Number of arguments used: 1 - Number of arguments expected: 2 I am not able to identify the error.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.