Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Import mph file generated on a different student license?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm considering returning to school to pursue a PhD. I'm not sure if I'm able to purchase Comsol through the university.

If I am able to do so, does the software allow me import any files created by the student license, to later be used in industry as examples to refer to?

Are there compatibility issues if the student license is a more recent version, say taking a project I generated on a 5.4 license and using on a 5.3 license?

1 Reply Last Post Apr 3, 2019, 9:18 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 3, 2019, 9:18 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Apr 3, 2019, 9:28 a.m. EDT

Hello Savio,

From the perspective of capabilities, there is no difference between the software delivered under an academic license and under a commercial license. However, a license purchased at discounted prices by a university may not be used for commercial use. The COMSOL software license agreement can be found here. Restrictions on permitted uses for academic licenses are addressed in the COMSOL software license agreement's Academic Addendum.

Another aspect to consider: to modify a file that uses certain capabilities you need a license that has those capabilities. You do not always have to have the exact same set of modules on the license used to modify the model as are present on the license used to create the model, but you will need the license used to modify the model to include at least those capabilities that are used in the model.

Your second question about opening a file generated a newer version in an oder version is addressed here.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Savio, From the perspective of capabilities, there is no difference between the software delivered under an academic license and under a commercial license. However, a license purchased at discounted prices by a university may not be used for commercial use. The COMSOL software license agreement can be found [here](http://www.comsol.com/sla/). Restrictions on permitted uses for academic licenses are addressed in the COMSOL software license agreement's Academic Addendum. Another aspect to consider: to modify a file that uses certain capabilities you need a license that has those capabilities. You do not always have to have the exact same set of modules on the license used to modify the model as are present on the license used to create the model, but you will need the license used to modify the model to include at least those capabilities that are used in the model. Your second question about opening a file generated a newer version in an oder version is addressed [here](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/163681/save-a-model-as-older-version?last=2018-02-07T12:01:36Z). Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.