Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

High aspect ratio geometries: Internal Error in Geometry decomposition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I need to create a geometry in which there are several small cylinders that intersecate other bigger (~50 times bigger in size) objects, usually blocks. For example, some operations involve the difference between a big block and a bunch of those small cylinders. If the size of the big block involved in the difference is too big, I get an error "Internal Error in Geometry decomposition", even when I press Build selected. If the block is not as big, I do not get the error immediately, but still I get it when I try to run Form Union. If the size of the block is smaller, I can run Form Union without problems. Moreover, the computation time used (both in the difference and in the Form Union) increases significantly as the size of the block increases. It seems that the problem is not a small angle or a small domain somewhere, but it seems to be the fact that I am subtracting two objects that are significantly different in size. I also noticed the the size of the virtual memory keeps increasing as try sequentially different sizes. This slows down also operations that were faster before.

Is there a way around? Thanks!

0 Replies Last Post May 17, 2019, 9:06 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Carlo Gilardi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.