Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Water leakage from a buried pipe in the depth of one meter in clay.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everybody, I want to create a 3D model in Comsol for a leaking pipe at the depth of 1 meter in unsaturated clay (water table is very low). As the type of soil is heavy clay and the velocity of flow will be very low, I don't know if Darcy's law is useful or not. Also, I don't know if the swelling of clay when it gets wet during the leakage is a problem or can be modelled or not. Please answer if you know what to do, and which model I should use. Here is some information: -Water is fresh water - The water is under pressure - The pipe is a water mains -The pipe is steel/concrete -Depth of pipe is typically 1 -2 m - Soil type is heavy clay - Pipe is completely enclosed in the soil (ie it is not in a sand channel) Some modelling points: -I do not know the exact velocity / volumetric flow rate of the water exiting the pipe -I need a 3D model -Leak is at the side of the pipe.

Thank you, Nasrin.

0 Replies Last Post May 31, 2019, 10:05 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nasrin Taghavi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.