Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need help in selecting physics modules for simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can give some insight on building the simulation for my model. I'm trying to simulate a pneumatically controlled finger and see how it moves based on the external pressure supplied to it. I have attached the STL file, if you wanted to have a look at the model. What physics should I use to simulate this?

I have worked with heat tranfer and my knowledge on fluid flow is quite limited as well. Looking for suggestions on building the simulation.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 1, 2019, 9:16 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Nov 1, 2019, 9:16 a.m. EDT

Dear Veda,

I am fairly new to Comsol as well, but I might be able to give an answer.

I could explain myself, but what I found on Comsol's own documentation is way clearer (this is from their website on the CFD module (here):

"With the addition of the Structural Mechanics Module, fluid-structure interaction (FSI) problems can be defined and solved for both laminar and turbulent flow. Two FSI options are available in the CFD Module:

1. One-way FSI coupling, in which the flow creates a load on a structure, but the deformations are small enough to neglect their influence on the flow
  2. Two-way FSI coupling, in which the flow creates loads on a structure, but the deformations are large and influence the flow by changing the shape of the fluid domain

The two-way coupling defines a moving mesh problem in the fluid domain. The displacements at the solid-fluid surfaces are determined by the balance of forces exerted by the fluid and counterforces exerted by the deforming solid structure. Steady-state and time-dependent studies are available for both one-way and two-way FSI problems for laminar and turbulent flows."

Hope this helps!

Dear Veda, I am fairly new to Comsol as well, but I might be able to give an answer. I could explain myself, but what I found on Comsol's own documentation is way clearer (this is from their website on the CFD module ([here](https://www.comsol.com/cfd-module)): "With the addition of the Structural Mechanics Module, fluid-structure interaction (FSI) problems can be defined and solved for both laminar and turbulent flow. Two FSI options are available in the CFD Module: 1. One-way FSI coupling, in which the flow creates a load on a structure, but the deformations are small enough to neglect their influence on the flow 2. Two-way FSI coupling, in which the flow creates loads on a structure, but the deformations are large and influence the flow by changing the shape of the fluid domain The two-way coupling defines a moving mesh problem in the fluid domain. The displacements at the solid-fluid surfaces are determined by the balance of forces exerted by the fluid and counterforces exerted by the deforming solid structure. Steady-state and time-dependent studies are available for both one-way and two-way FSI problems for laminar and turbulent flows." Hope this helps!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.