Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can the integration value be considered to be zero?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am taking an integration on the boundary between two physics. I take the integral of the difference between two variables and expect the resulting integral to be zero. However, the integration gives something of the order of 1e2, whereas the variables are of the order of 1e5. My question is: can the integration be considered to be zero in this case?

Thanks,

Alex

2 Replies Last Post Mar 12, 2020, 3:38 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 12, 2020, 11:21 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Mar 12, 2020, 11:23 a.m. EDT

Maybe. I don't think it is possible to give a reliable answer to your question without more information about your model, mesh, the physics being modeled, etc. I suggest that you post your model to the forum so that others may look at it and offer suggestions.

Alternatively, use a much finer mesh, and/or higher-order elements, and re-run your model. If the integrated value that you are talking about gets much closer to zero, then it may indeed be simply a result of numerical error.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Maybe. I don't think it is possible to give a reliable answer to your question without more information about your model, mesh, the physics being modeled, etc. I suggest that you post your model to the forum so that others may look at it and offer suggestions. Alternatively, use a much finer mesh, and/or higher-order elements, and re-run your model. If the integrated value that you are talking about gets much closer to zero, then it may indeed be simply a result of numerical error.

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 12, 2020, 3:38 p.m. EDT

Indeed, I realize that I haven't given much information, but I did use a finer mesh and higher order elements and the integration approaches zero. Also, I noticed that the integration is greater in areas where the dependent variable varies more, so I think it is due to numerical errors.

Thank you,

Alex

Indeed, I realize that I haven't given much information, but I did use a finer mesh and higher order elements and the integration approaches zero. Also, I noticed that the integration is greater in areas where the dependent variable varies more, so I think it is due to numerical errors. Thank you, Alex

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.