Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Numerical initial conditions ina PDE problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am asking for help concerning the following simulation, to be run in two stages:

Stage A: first, I solve a 2-dim steady state PDE problem, finding a solution f(x,y).
Basically, f is the solution to an eigenvalue problem.

Stage B: I wish to slightly perturb f: f -->f1 = f + df, where df = df(x,y) is a known function.
Then, f1 is used as initial condition for the same PDE problem of stage A, but now
I run the simulation as time-dependent.

My problem is at the level of stage B: f, and hence f1, comes as a numerical solution, and
has no obvious analytical fit. How can I implement such a numerical function as initial condition ?

I am using COMSOL v3.5 (Not 3.5a !)

Thanks

F. Sattin

1 Reply Last Post Jan 13, 2010, 11:44 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2010, 11:44 p.m. EST
Hi

I'm not sure I catched everything, but if I do a "conceptual" case of it in structural, once you do a modal analysis you have the eigenmode/shape as output, which allow you to enforce prescripted displacements, or initial stress (that you may want to scale). Canont you use that as starting point for the second run ?

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I catched everything, but if I do a "conceptual" case of it in structural, once you do a modal analysis you have the eigenmode/shape as output, which allow you to enforce prescripted displacements, or initial stress (that you may want to scale). Canont you use that as starting point for the second run ? Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.