Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using previously computed solution as input for new simulation.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am doing a stationnary study of thermal strain using the solid mechanics module. I want to simulate thermal strain in a system with different material that have been deposited at different temperatures one by one.

For that I would like to do a simulation with the first two material, then use this solution as input for the three-material case, solve it, and so on.

Is that feasible? How can I use a previous solution as inital condition? The 'initial values' condition only allows to put initial constant displacement.

Thanks for your help

1 Reply Last Post Apr 17, 2020, 7:10 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 17, 2020, 7:10 a.m. EDT

Hi Léo,

In Application Libraries you can find an example of exactly this. It is called Thermal Stresses in a Layered Plate (file: layered_plate).

You can also find it here: https://www.comsol.com/model/thermal-stresses-in-a-layered-plate-273

The main idea is to use the Activation feature to activate the layers one by one as they are deposited.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Léo, In Application Libraries you can find an example of exactly this. It is called Thermal Stresses in a Layered Plate (file: layered_plate). You can also find it here: The main idea is to use the Activation feature to activate the layers one by one as they are deposited.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.