Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

materials of a surface mesh element

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone ,
I’m looking for a possibility to distinguish the different materials that belong to a single surface-mash-element (for example: a triangle) in matlab? For better understanding - my problem in a second way. Starting from a model containing a single meshed surface. Each mesh-element is now between two materials. So how do I get knowledge about the two materials/groups/… the element is between?
Thanks for help!

3 Replies Last Post Apr 10, 2013, 5:11 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 7, 2012, 3:04 a.m. EST
None of you have any idea?
None of you have any idea?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 8, 2012, 5:34 p.m. EST
Hi

I'm not sure I undertand you, in COMSOL, materials are defined on the "Entities" (domains, boundaries) and the mesh gets, when required, info by "heritance". If you select the material nodes you see which entity is of which material.

Else you could perhaps plot a surface in "wireframe" mode without smoothing (raw mesh mode) and ask for a material property, such as "rho" or "mur" then the color code will give you indictions which region is what, but still its shows the "Entities" with the superposed mesh

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I undertand you, in COMSOL, materials are defined on the "Entities" (domains, boundaries) and the mesh gets, when required, info by "heritance". If you select the material nodes you see which entity is of which material. Else you could perhaps plot a surface in "wireframe" mode without smoothing (raw mesh mode) and ask for a material property, such as "rho" or "mur" then the color code will give you indictions which region is what, but still its shows the "Entities" with the superposed mesh -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 10, 2013, 5:11 a.m. EDT
The information can be extracted via matlab by:
mphxmeshinfo(model)
within the element section
The information can be extracted via matlab by: mphxmeshinfo(model) within the element section

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.