Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hole in plate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all! I am new to comsiol and ha ve a basic question. I am trying to put an inlet hole in a modle and am having a bit of trouble on how to put a hole in a surface. I also need to creat a plate with 40 3/8 in holes in it. If there is a quick way to do this it would be very helpful.
Thank you,
Joe bob

7 Replies Last Post Jul 11, 2016, 2:52 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2012, 9:10 p.m. EST
you can create 1 hole and than you "array" command.
you can create 1 hole and than you "array" command.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2012, 10:05 p.m. EST
That sounds good but how do I make the first hole? It's my first day.
That sounds good but how do I make the first hole? It's my first day.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2012, 1:49 a.m. EST
Hi
If you have a plate then you add a cylinder in the middle, with the same top and bottom boundary, then COMSOl will unite these and make 2 "entities" for the FEM, you can then define the plate with the hole as one metal domain, and the cylinder hole as air or water or whatever.

This is one of the strengths of COMSOl you can have overlappiong objects (geometrical volumes) and these will be combined bis the Finish-Union node into entities = domain boundaries, edges points that are analysed and all geoemtrical intersection are made for you

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi If you have a plate then you add a cylinder in the middle, with the same top and bottom boundary, then COMSOl will unite these and make 2 "entities" for the FEM, you can then define the plate with the hole as one metal domain, and the cylinder hole as air or water or whatever. This is one of the strengths of COMSOl you can have overlappiong objects (geometrical volumes) and these will be combined bis the Finish-Union node into entities = domain boundaries, edges points that are analysed and all geoemtrical intersection are made for you -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2012, 2:42 a.m. EST
I was thinking along those lines when I saw air and water in the materials tab, but wasn't sure if it would work that way. Thank you
Joe Bob
I was thinking along those lines when I saw air and water in the materials tab, but wasn't sure if it would work that way. Thank you Joe Bob

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2012, 8:48 a.m. EST
I did a really simple example of playing with geometry. Just follow it step by step to see what I did. This may give you some ideas on how to go about making structures. Also download some of the examples in the gallery and work through them. Avoid the files that just has you importing in an already built .mphbin file. Any experience you can get building in the GUI will help a lot.
I did a really simple example of playing with geometry. Just follow it step by step to see what I did. This may give you some ideas on how to go about making structures. Also download some of the examples in the gallery and work through them. Avoid the files that just has you importing in an already built .mphbin file. Any experience you can get building in the GUI will help a lot.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2012, 1:06 p.m. EST
Thank you that helped me alot.
Thank you that helped me alot.

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 11, 2016, 2:52 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your Clear example !!
Thanks for your Clear example !!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.