Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failed to evaluate variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to solve a simple mass balance model based on the reaction kinetic expressions using the Synchronize feature as attached. I have the following questions.

1) Why do I get the “Failed to evaluate variable” message? C_H2 is a variable name used in mod1 and cH2 is one in mod2. Both are defined in the model.

2) Study 2 is automatically generated when I synchronize. Under the “physics selection” setting, do I need to select both of “re” and “chds” or do I need to just select “chds”? I looked at the deNOx model available in the model gallery, and they disconnected the “re” from the rest of the flow models. Why is that and what is the difference?

3) Also, Chemical Reaction Engineering manual says that we can return to and solve the equations defining the ideal reactor model (the ODE model) in the Reaction Engineering interface by clearing the Synchronization with COMSOL Multiphysics check box. But, I found that it does not work for “Study 1”.

Thanks.

4 Replies Last Post Sep 24, 2012, 6:57 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 28, 2012, 2:25 a.m. EST
Hi

and I (v4.2a .1§66 as you) get an error "Tag: null" which could indicate some thing is corrupt in the internals of the model, for these things SUPPORT is the best ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi and I (v4.2a .1§66 as you) get an error "Tag: null" which could indicate some thing is corrupt in the internals of the model, for these things SUPPORT is the best ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 28, 2012, 9:46 a.m. EST
Thanks, Ivar. I will.
Thanks, Ivar. I will.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 10, 2012, 10:01 a.m. EDT
Dear Ivar,

I face also the synchronization failure in 4.2a. COMSOL experts are requested to resolve synchronization problem on priority for 4.2a.

Regards,
Dear Ivar, I face also the synchronization failure in 4.2a. COMSOL experts are requested to resolve synchronization problem on priority for 4.2a. Regards,

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 24, 2012, 6:57 a.m. EDT
Hi,
I'm getting this error repeatedly and couldn't solve further.I request help..
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: mod1.u31x
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 1
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: mod1.chpm.u
- Defined as: mod1.u31x
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: d(((-mod1.chpm.u*mod1.cx-mod1.chpm.v*mod1.cy-mod1.chpm.w*mod1.cz)*test(mod1.c))*(dvol),{test@4})..

Also,
For Maxwell-stefan diffusion,how can i change the values in diffusivity matrix?
Hi, I'm getting this error repeatedly and couldn't solve further.I request help.. Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: mod1.u31x - Geometry: 1 - Domain: 1 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: mod1.chpm.u - Defined as: mod1.u31x Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: d(((-mod1.chpm.u*mod1.cx-mod1.chpm.v*mod1.cy-mod1.chpm.w*mod1.cz)*test(mod1.c))*(dvol),{test@4}).. Also, For Maxwell-stefan diffusion,how can i change the values in diffusivity matrix?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.