Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to add increasing surrounding hydrostatic pressure to a model (in relation to ocean depth)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am attempting to add a surrounding pressure to my entire flap based check valve model in COMSOL. The performance of the valve at various ocen depths is being investigated, hence it is desired to vary the surrounding hydrostatic pressure (most likely through an auxiliary/parametric sweep). This is important because the stiffness of the PDMS flap within the valve will change with the increasing pressure boundary force. This pottentially altering the required fluid inlet flowrate.

I was able to simulate the hydrostatic pressure in a COMSOL model that included solely the PDMS flap and a constant force. When I try to apply the same method in the FSI model (applying a pressure boundry load to all sides of the flap) I receive a 'Attempt to evaluate real square root of negative number' error. Other attempts also gice similar but different not convergence errors.

I am unable to get the simulation working with sweeps and mesh refinements. Is there a way to create a simple pressure chamber within comsol the I can put my model in?

Thanks for any help/advice

Luke LaFond

0 Replies Last Post Jul 21, 2020, 12:33 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Luke LaFond

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.