Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

parametric sweep (old issue, new problem)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I know this issue has been mentioned a few times on the forum, but each one refers to a slightly different aspect and none of them explains the problems I am facing.

The idea is simple - I have got a 2D axysymmetric model and want to run it with a parameter subject to parametric sweep. Problem is it seems that the only thing COMSOL lets me do is see the results for different values of the altered parameter only on a single 3D plot and NONE of the 1D plots I am interested in (only for 3D I get the drop down menu).

So can someone please tell me how to see 1D point graphs for different values of parameter which was altered via parametric sweep and secondly - how to plot them on a single graph? I know I can do it exporting the data, but this will be quite time-consuming and I would expect such functionality to be included in the COMSOL 4.2a.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

4 Replies Last Post Jun 7, 2015, 9:13 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 2:49 a.m. EDT
Hi

the easiest I know about is to define a Results Derived variable and get the result into a table, then to plot the table (icon on the top border of the Results table data window)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the easiest I know about is to define a Results Derived variable and get the result into a table, then to plot the table (icon on the top border of the Results table data window) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 17, 2012, 9:42 a.m. EDT
Is there a way to use the values from the table to normalize a separate plot?

My specific case is that I have a velocity profile at the outlet of a channel which I would like to normalize by the maximum velocity. This profile changes with several parameters (channel height, channel width, pressure drop, channel curvature) in multiple parametric sweeps, however, I want to normalize by the maximum velocity from each case.

Any help is appreciated.
Is there a way to use the values from the table to normalize a separate plot? My specific case is that I have a velocity profile at the outlet of a channel which I would like to normalize by the maximum velocity. This profile changes with several parameters (channel height, channel width, pressure drop, channel curvature) in multiple parametric sweeps, however, I want to normalize by the maximum velocity from each case. Any help is appreciated.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 17, 2012, 12:03 p.m. EDT
Hi

you have also the possibility to create variables (Definition variables ...) that are then part of the Data Set and might be used during solving or for postprocessing, these are also then indexed by sweep or other parameters, as well as for "t" time. So it is also possible to generate a probe to visualise the results during processing.

Pls note that max and min operators ask for quite some processing and can take quite some time on large models

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have also the possibility to create variables (Definition variables ...) that are then part of the Data Set and might be used during solving or for postprocessing, these are also then indexed by sweep or other parameters, as well as for "t" time. So it is also possible to generate a probe to visualise the results during processing. Pls note that max and min operators ask for quite some processing and can take quite some time on large models -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 7, 2015, 9:13 a.m. EDT
You need to create a 1D geometry on the section you modeled, compute the solution using the study Solver and then post process it into 1D and derive the data sets from it
You need to create a 1D geometry on the section you modeled, compute the solution using the study Solver and then post process it into 1D and derive the data sets from it

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.