Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to find the volume of the model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I have built a 3-d geometry in Comsol. I want to find out the volume of this model. I know that I have to integrate the domain. But I do not know how to see the results.

Can anyone help?

-Sankha

6 Replies Last Post Mar 8, 2014, 1:50 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2012, 5:36 a.m. EDT

Hello all,

I have built a 3-d geometry in Comsol. I want to find out the volume of this model. I know that I have to integrate the domain. But I do not know how to see the results.

Can anyone help?

-Sankha

Hi Sankha,

1. Define an "Integration" in Model1\Definition\Model couplings.
2. Select a domain that you want to find the volume. By default, the name of function is "intop1"
3. In Model1\Definion: define an variable: type "volume" in the name field, "intop1(1*1*1)" in the expression field.
4. Run the model
5. Add 1D plot\global: type "volume(1)" in the expression field and Plot. You will have the result

Regards,

Dinh An
[QUOTE] Hello all, I have built a 3-d geometry in Comsol. I want to find out the volume of this model. I know that I have to integrate the domain. But I do not know how to see the results. Can anyone help? -Sankha [/QUOTE] Hi Sankha, 1. Define an "Integration" in Model1\Definition\Model couplings. 2. Select a domain that you want to find the volume. By default, the name of function is "intop1" 3. In Model1\Definion: define an variable: type "volume" in the name field, "intop1(1*1*1)" in the expression field. 4. Run the model 5. Add 1D plot\global: type "volume(1)" in the expression field and Plot. You will have the result Regards, Dinh An

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2012, 7:21 a.m. EDT
Hello Nguyen,

Many thanks for replying. Actually I was running a Eigen frequency analysis and wanted to know the volume of the model at different modes. I was able to calculate volume in another way though. In results, I defined a 'volume integration' subnode in the node 'derived values' and the volume integrals got updated in the Table node. I got exactly same number of volume results as was the Eigen modes. Can you comment on the accuracy of this method?

Thanks

Sankha
Hello Nguyen, Many thanks for replying. Actually I was running a Eigen frequency analysis and wanted to know the volume of the model at different modes. I was able to calculate volume in another way though. In results, I defined a 'volume integration' subnode in the node 'derived values' and the volume integrals got updated in the Table node. I got exactly same number of volume results as was the Eigen modes. Can you comment on the accuracy of this method? Thanks Sankha

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2012, 7:40 a.m. EDT

Hello Nguyen,

Many thanks for replying. Actually I was running a Eigen frequency analysis and wanted to know the volume of the model at different modes. I was able to calculate volume in another way though. In results, I defined a 'volume integration' subnode in the node 'derived values' and the volume integrals got updated in the Table node. I got exactly same number of volume results as was the Eigen modes. Can you comment on the accuracy of this method?

Thanks

Sankha

Sankha,

I think the way you get the volume integrals in the Table node has the same results as using the "intop1" function. But if you defined the variable in Model1\Definition\variables..., you can use/couple this one as a variable for the other calculus in your model. Try getting the mesh finer to see the difference if there is.

Regards

Dinh An
[QUOTE] Hello Nguyen, Many thanks for replying. Actually I was running a Eigen frequency analysis and wanted to know the volume of the model at different modes. I was able to calculate volume in another way though. In results, I defined a 'volume integration' subnode in the node 'derived values' and the volume integrals got updated in the Table node. I got exactly same number of volume results as was the Eigen modes. Can you comment on the accuracy of this method? Thanks Sankha [/QUOTE] Sankha, I think the way you get the volume integrals in the Table node has the same results as using the "intop1" function. But if you defined the variable in Model1\Definition\variables..., you can use/couple this one as a variable for the other calculus in your model. Try getting the mesh finer to see the difference if there is. Regards Dinh An

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 28, 2012, 2:46 a.m. EDT
I think you should go through the basic guidelines of the comsol and I am sure you can find a way to find the volume of the model you wanted.
[url="math.tutorvista.com/geometry/acute-angle.html]What is an Acute Angle[/url]
I think you should go through the basic guidelines of the comsol and I am sure you can find a way to find the volume of the model you wanted. [url="http://math.tutorvista.com/geometry/acute-angle.html]What is an Acute Angle[/url]

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 28, 2012, 4:30 a.m. EDT

Hello all,

Can anyone help?

-Sankha

Are you talking about the volume of the geomtry you created? If it is so, go to the postprocessing\geometry integration, you can find the integrated volume value
[QUOTE] Hello all, I have built a 3-d geometry in Comsol. I want to find out the volume of this model. I know that I have to integrate the domain. But I do not know how to see the results. Can anyone help? -Sankha [/QUOTE] Are you talking about the volume of the geomtry you created? If it is so, go to the postprocessing\geometry integration, you can find the integrated volume value

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 8, 2014, 1:50 p.m. EST
Hey all

just saying that the results from volume integration in "derived values" sub-node is mesh size dependent..
Hey all just saying that the results from volume integration in "derived values" sub-node is mesh size dependent..

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.