Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Edge stresses in a lshell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

In the multi-shell model, I want to obtain the Mises stress at a point on the edge of the model, but the expression cannot be calculated.However, I can calculate the stress at a point inside the model.How can I calculate the stress at a particular point on the edge of the model?

2 Replies Last Post Dec 29, 2020, 4:49 a.m. EST
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Dec 15, 2020, 3:48 a.m. EST

Hello,

I am assuming that you are evaluating stress on a point using Point Evaluation node and setting the dataset to Layered Material and correcting specifying the Through-thickness location.

When you evaluate or plot such quantities on lower dimensions (i.e. edges or points) instead of boundaries, you need to wrap the quantity in mean() or mean(mean()) operator for edge and point evaluation respectively.

So in this case try evaluating mean(mean(lshell.mises)). Hope this resolves your problem.

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Hello, I am assuming that you are evaluating stress on a point using *Point Evaluation* node and setting the dataset to *Layered Material* and correcting specifying the *Through-thickness location*. When you evaluate or plot such quantities on lower dimensions (i.e. edges or points) instead of boundaries, you need to wrap the quantity in *mean()* or *mean(mean())* operator for edge and point evaluation respectively. So in this case try evaluating *mean(mean(lshell.mises))*. Hope this resolves your problem. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Posted: 4 years ago Dec 29, 2020, 4:49 a.m. EST

Hello,

Thanks Pawan Soami.

I have learned to use mean(), but I can not understand the meaning of the mean value of expression as evaluated on the adjacent boundaries.Does mean() only calculate the mean of adjacent boundaries?If I have multiple shells overlapping, I can't use this operator.

For example, If I want to calculate the mean(lshell.sxx) of multiple overlapping shell edges (more than three), then how should I represent it?

Jiali Mao

Hello, Thanks Pawan Soami. I have learned to use mean(), but I can not understand the meaning of the mean value of expression as evaluated on the adjacent boundaries.Does mean() only calculate the mean of adjacent boundaries?If I have multiple shells overlapping, I can't use this operator. For example, If I want to calculate the mean(lshell.sxx) of multiple overlapping shell edges (more than three), then how should I represent it? Jiali Mao

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.