Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

residence time distribution in laminar flow comsol 4.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there, I am new in using Comsol and I am trying to obtain residence time distribution by Comsol, I used fluid flow-single phase flow-laminar flow from Comsol model wizard to model flow between two concentric tubes. Now I need to obtain the residence time distribution for this flow. I found a tutorial with name of "residence time in turbulent reactor ". It used Comsol 3.5a and Chemical Engineering Module>Mass Transport>Convection and Diffusion>Transient analysis, but this module is not available in Comsol 4.2. Can anybody give me a tutorial related to Comsol 4.2 or give me some advice?
Regards

3 Replies Last Post Jul 6, 2013, 3:37 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Meisam Babaie

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 2, 2012, 5:00 p.m. EDT
Hi, I am also newbie and I am facing exactly the same problem with this tutorial. I cannot make it to the new version of comsol. Tutorial is written for the old one, 3.5...
I tried many things, I went according to the original manual and I tried improvising but to no success. Then I went through watching and searching exactly same icons, that didn't work either.
I then move to another problem but I would really like to get this model working, therefore I would like to use it in my research for thesis.
This is the model, we are both ( I suppose) interested in:
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/498/

Here is the manual in pdf for the old version of comsol:
www.comsol.com/showroom/downloadfile/model/498/version/comsol35a/file/turbulent_residence_time.pdf

If someone knows how to build this model in new version of COMSOL, pls, reply.
Or if somebody is able to rewrite it in short as the manual for 4.2a version.

Or have you, Meisam Babaie, worked it out already? If so, please let me know how to do it.

All I was able to reach is the error saying:
"Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged."

I would have attached my attemts but somehow Attach file button is doing nothing.

Thank you all in advance
Hi, I am also newbie and I am facing exactly the same problem with this tutorial. I cannot make it to the new version of comsol. Tutorial is written for the old one, 3.5... I tried many things, I went according to the original manual and I tried improvising but to no success. Then I went through watching and searching exactly same icons, that didn't work either. I then move to another problem but I would really like to get this model working, therefore I would like to use it in my research for thesis. This is the model, we are both ( I suppose) interested in: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/498/ Here is the manual in pdf for the old version of comsol: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/downloadfile/model/498/version/comsol35a/file/turbulent_residence_time.pdf If someone knows how to build this model in new version of COMSOL, pls, reply. Or if somebody is able to rewrite it in short as the manual for 4.2a version. Or have you, Meisam Babaie, worked it out already? If so, please let me know how to do it. All I was able to reach is the error saying: "Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged." I would have attached my attemts but somehow Attach file button is doing nothing. Thank you all in advance

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 5, 2012, 6:57 a.m. EDT
I figured it out with the help of some local distributor of COMSOL... It is necessary to add some stationery solver for turbulent flow, and let it solve first. And set the time dependent solving step for transport of diluted species to go second. It will compute the time dependent step based on some stuff that it will get from the first solution, from the stationary step... I cannot send you mine, though, sorry.
HTH
I figured it out with the help of some local distributor of COMSOL... It is necessary to add some stationery solver for turbulent flow, and let it solve first. And set the time dependent solving step for transport of diluted species to go second. It will compute the time dependent step based on some stuff that it will get from the first solution, from the stationary step... I cannot send you mine, though, sorry. HTH

Harikrishnan Jayamohan

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2013, 3:37 p.m. EDT
1. Enable turbulent flow in Study 1-Steady state (Physics section green tick mark) and disable transport of diluted species

2. Disable turbulent flow in Study 2-Steady state (Physics section red cross mark) and enable transport of diluted species

3. Right click on Study2>Solver Configurations and select Show default solver.

4. Go to the settings window for Study2>Solver Configurations>Solver 2> Dependent Variables 1. In the initial values of variables solved for and values of variables not solved for sections use Method: solution and Solution: Solver 1. Select Automatic and compute

1. Enable turbulent flow in Study 1-Steady state (Physics section green tick mark) and disable transport of diluted species 2. Disable turbulent flow in Study 2-Steady state (Physics section red cross mark) and enable transport of diluted species 3. Right click on Study2>Solver Configurations and select Show default solver. 4. Go to the settings window for Study2>Solver Configurations>Solver 2> Dependent Variables 1. In the initial values of variables solved for and values of variables not solved for sections use Method: solution and Solution: Solver 1. Select Automatic and compute

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.