Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Array 3D Dataset Question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to use an Array 3D dataset, to avoid manually creating multiple source datasets. Attached is a very simple example of what I am after.

The attached model (version 5.5 by the way) is a stationary 3D model of a simple cylindrical magnet. I have defined a Cut Point 3D Datset to define a location at which I want to determine the magnetic field strength.

For design purposes, I want to see how that field strength would vary due to manufacturing tolerances of the real world device. I could do this by creating a total of 27 Cut Point 3D, (I would have a min, nominal and max tolerance for x, y and z axes, so effectively an array of 3x3x3 Cut Point 3D Datasets).

This starts to get a little unwieldy and prone to human error. I would much rather use the original "nominal" Cut Point 3D dataset as the source for an Array 3D dataset, and then define within the Array 3D Datset settings window, the array that I want to use (a 3 x 3 x 3 array with offsets defined by the calculated mechanical tolerances of the assembly).

However, I am falling at the first hurdle and cannot seem to achieve this, often getting a "The source dataset must be nonsingular" error message.

Any suggestions, guidance appreciated!

Mark

0 Replies Last Post Jan 7, 2021, 5:05 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mark Harradine

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.