Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Continuity between domains of different physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am creating a model that has 2 domains, each with a separate physics. One has the "Transport of diluted species" physics, and the other has "Species transport in porous media". I want to set it such that the flux out of one domain is equal to the flux into the other, or something similar. However, i cannot figure out how to do this. Does anyone know how? Thank you

6 Replies Last Post May 15, 2012, 4:31 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 22, 2012, 4:32 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you dependent variables have different names, then you must set up your own continuity equations and ensure that the sum of the two fluxes adds to "0"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you dependent variables have different names, then you must set up your own continuity equations and ensure that the sum of the two fluxes adds to "0" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2012, 2:27 p.m. EDT
Great, thank you. Is there a way to make the dependent variables the same? I basically have a chemical diffusing first through a porous material, then through another material as a diluted species. Ideally I'd like to let the chemical diffuse through the whole thing on its own, but i can't figure out how to get the 2 physics to connect. How would i set up the continuity equations? Would i need to add the ODE physics then too, or is there a way to enter equations without it?
Great, thank you. Is there a way to make the dependent variables the same? I basically have a chemical diffusing first through a porous material, then through another material as a diluted species. Ideally I'd like to let the chemical diffuse through the whole thing on its own, but i can't figure out how to get the 2 physics to connect. How would i set up the continuity equations? Would i need to add the ODE physics then too, or is there a way to enter equations without it?

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2012, 2:27 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 14, 2012, 6:15 a.m. EDT
Hi Peter,

Also struggling with the same problem, please let me know if u crack it.

Cheers
Hi Peter, Also struggling with the same problem, please let me know if u crack it. Cheers

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 14, 2012, 7:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

making the variable names the same is possible if the geoemtries are fully decoupled and you have two independent systems, else you and up with something like c=2=3 in some locations, mathematically difficult to solve, even for COMSOL ;)

Indeed you need to couple your equations, either by external ODEs or via local BC referring to the other variables, and sort out how to segregate the solver variables, which on efirst and in which order.

COMSOL is great to solve your PDE's but you still need to know what physics and how these mix to set up COMSOL models correctly

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi making the variable names the same is possible if the geoemtries are fully decoupled and you have two independent systems, else you and up with something like c=2=3 in some locations, mathematically difficult to solve, even for COMSOL ;) Indeed you need to couple your equations, either by external ODEs or via local BC referring to the other variables, and sort out how to segregate the solver variables, which on efirst and in which order. COMSOL is great to solve your PDE's but you still need to know what physics and how these mix to set up COMSOL models correctly -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 15, 2012, 4:31 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for the response. When you talk of decoupling the geometry, does it mean that in the first instance of developing your geometry, it might be wise not to form union too quickly if you know or suspect some continuity in physics? In my instance, i am having a 2D geometry for a microchannel with a catalyst layer coated onto the walls. That means i have 3 domains (gas flow channel, catalyst, and solid wall). There will be heat flux continuity say between the gas channel and catalyst. However on right clicking the heat transfer physics node, i could see that the boundary node for continiuty could not activate to select the interface boundary. Could it be that since i formed union earlier in developing the geometry, Comsol could not decouple the geometry so as to allow to specify this condition?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Cheers,

Steven.
Hi Ivar, Thanks for the response. When you talk of decoupling the geometry, does it mean that in the first instance of developing your geometry, it might be wise not to form union too quickly if you know or suspect some continuity in physics? In my instance, i am having a 2D geometry for a microchannel with a catalyst layer coated onto the walls. That means i have 3 domains (gas flow channel, catalyst, and solid wall). There will be heat flux continuity say between the gas channel and catalyst. However on right clicking the heat transfer physics node, i could see that the boundary node for continiuty could not activate to select the interface boundary. Could it be that since i formed union earlier in developing the geometry, Comsol could not decouple the geometry so as to allow to specify this condition? Hope to hear from you soon, Cheers, Steven.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.