Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FEA discretization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using FEA with 0.49 Poisson ratio. How do I know if my discretization is based on linear finite elements or higher-order elements ? A high Poisson ratio with linear elements could lead to severe locking. Is there any special treatment to overcome this?

2 Replies Last Post Mar 1, 2021, 3:59 a.m. EST
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Feb 27, 2021, 12:13 p.m. EST

In older versions choose the option Nearly Incompressible Material under Linear Elastic Material. In newer versions select the Pressure Formulation under Use mixed formulation.

If you want details of the internals of Comsol you can contact Comsol Support, and maybe they will tell you.

In older versions choose the option Nearly Incompressible Material under Linear Elastic Material. In newer versions select the Pressure Formulation under Use mixed formulation. If you want details of the internals of Comsol you can contact Comsol Support, and maybe they will tell you.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Mar 1, 2021, 3:59 a.m. EST

What Dave is referring to is how to switch to a mixed formulation, which is a good idea for materials with a low compressibility.

In your original question, you asked about the shape function order. That is shown in the Discretization section of the physics interface. The default for Solid Mechanics is quadratic.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
What Dave is referring to is how to switch to a *mixed formulation*, which is a good idea for materials with a low compressibility. In your original question, you asked about the shape function order. That is shown in the *Discretization* section of the physics interface. The default for Solid Mechanics is quadratic.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.