Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving an object in a viscoelastic medium

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to model an object (a bead) being moved in a visco-elastic medium, in order to predict the flows in the medium, and how thesese flows push back on the bead. I don't care whatsoever about the bead deformation, I'm only interested the flows around it.

I managed to set up a simple 2D simulation of a steel bead being moved (by body load) in a creeping flow, using fluid-structure interaction to couple the bead to the fluid.

I tried to do the same in a visco-elastic flow, but in comsol 5.6 at least, I cannot couple solid mechanics to visco-elastic flows (X). Is that a bug ?

Is there no way in comsol to model this simple setup ? Thanks !

(X) : once again : I don't really need solid mechanics, except that I need the flows to be able to push the bead around.

1 Reply Last Post Mar 16, 2021, 9:04 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Mar 16, 2021, 9:04 a.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Mar 16, 2021, 9:14 a.m. EDT

Here is a small sketch of what I want to achieve : illus

Here is a small sketch of what I want to achieve : ![illus](https://biophysics.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/illus-1-1024x595.jpg)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.