Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol Iteration - Defining a loop for Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi to all.

I am trying to simulate a heat exchanger und its heat transfer. For that i have to determine the wall temperature of my pipe. That isn't that difficult. I use a derived value (avererage) for that.

I use that value to calculate a new heat transfer coeeficient in comsol. Therefor i write that temperature in the paramter table in "global definition". Than i start a new simulation and i will get a new wall temperature. I use that new temperature as the next initial value described above.

Now i would like to ask you, if there is a possibility in comsol to define a loop of about 10 steps. Comsol should calculate the wall temperature itself and it should use that temperature for a new run. At the moment i have to do that by hand.

Thanks,
Alex

4 Replies Last Post May 4, 2012, 3:37 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2012, 10:06 a.m. EDT
Alexander,

so far I haven't worked with heat transfer problems, but it seems to me you will need to use LiveLink for Matlab in order to achieve the loop.
Look for modelParam function inside the documentation of LiveLink for Matlab.

cheers,
--
Felipe
Alexander, so far I haven't worked with heat transfer problems, but it seems to me you will need to use LiveLink for Matlab in order to achieve the loop. Look for modelParam function inside the documentation of LiveLink for Matlab. cheers, -- Felipe

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2012, 10:17 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the fast response.

I thought something like that. But I have hoped that it would be possible in comsol, because i haven't worked with Matlab so far.

Maybe I will find another solution. If not I have to try it with Matlab.
Thanks for the fast response. I thought something like that. But I have hoped that it would be possible in comsol, because i haven't worked with Matlab so far. Maybe I will find another solution. If not I have to try it with Matlab.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2012, 11:07 a.m. EDT
here is the crash course on how to do it in matlab: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/28337/
here is the crash course on how to do it in matlab: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/28337/

Posted: 1 decade ago May 4, 2012, 3:37 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much for the link, Francois!
Thank you very much for the link, Francois!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.