Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol 4.2 on big simulation machine

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi to everybody,

I'm using Comsol 4.2 to run CFD and Conjugate Heat transfer complex models. First we used a machine called Machine1 (in the following text) which is a workstation. Than we bought a new machine (Machine2) to have more power and reduced analysis time. But this is not happened! The "expected to be faster" machine is actually slower.

Machine1 (Workstation):
Name: Dell T7500,
CPU: Intel Xeon E5620 2.4 Ghz, 2 processors (4 core each); RAM: 48 GB Ram Memory; OS: Windows 7 64 bit

Machine2 (Server):
Name: rack type Dell R715; CPU: Amd Opteron 6282 SE 2.6 GHz with 2 processors (16 cores each), RAM: 256 GB Ram Memory; Os: Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition

Someone had experiences with this type of big machines. Me and my colleagues are mad about trying to configure the system.
We are thinking about some more optimized instruction to drive the calculations, to change the OS in a Linux Suse... and many others tests.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post May 17, 2012, 11:43 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 17, 2012, 11:43 a.m. EDT
We installed Linux SUSE on the server. Than we discovered that the main problem is the matricies assembly but not the effective used cpu time.
Coul be the problem referred to RAM usage?
We installed Linux SUSE on the server. Than we discovered that the main problem is the matricies assembly but not the effective used cpu time. Coul be the problem referred to RAM usage?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.