Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Quick AC/DC Rotational Machinery Question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone

I am working on understanding how to use the rotary machinery physics in the AC/DC module using the 2d generator in the model library. I have changed the rotors to just be iron and made the coils have different phases, using Imax=sqrt(2)*10 [A] and changing the current in the multi-turn coil domain to Imax*exp(i*0) for one phase, Imax*exp(i*(2*pi)/3) for second phase and Imax*exp(i*(4*pi)/3) for the third phase.

I then run the simulation but it does not work. If I change the coils to an ampere's law with cylindrical coordinates with a radial remenent magnetic field and run the simulation then the rotor turns and it works. But if I use the different phases it errors out saying it has done too many steps. It seems I cannot have a changing phase in the stator while the rotor is rotating, which is what I want to do.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make the stator coils have 3-phases while the rotor, with no magnetic fields just iron, rotates inside the stator?

Thanks.
Stephen

1 Reply Last Post May 28, 2012, 5:23 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2012, 5:23 a.m. EDT
Hi

indeed it should work, in MEF you see nicely the phasor effect in these two models, so it should be there in RMM too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed it should work, in MEF you see nicely the phasor effect in these two models, so it should be there in RMM too -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.