Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ground potential rise - substation grounding grid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to study current distribution and ground potential rise in a grounding grid buried below the earth surface during single-phase short-circuit fault in power substation. I have build 3D geometry for grounding grid. I have applied materials properties (such as soil resistivity). I am using Electric Currents (ec) interface (AC/DC module) and Electrical Circuit interface (cir) to model a current source and voltage distribution around grounding grid. I tried inject current via terminal but the size of the geometry boundary is to large for my studies - is there any oportunity to inject current to specific point of grounding grid, via for example current point source? Is there simple way to calculate/find current distribution in grounding grid? Moreover, I can see the current in the grounding conductors but how to model/calculate that part of the current which flows to soil?

Please find attachement for potential distribution around grounding grid at 0m and -1m.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

0 Replies Last Post May 22, 2021, 9:06 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jacob J

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.