Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Impedance Boundary Condition on Metamaterial Absorber

Alexandros Emvoliadhs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings,

I simulated a metamaterial absorber applying PEC condition in metallic parts,having periodic BCs everywhere and i also use two periodic ports(to calculate S11 and S21),pmls on the boundaries where the ports are to avoid extra order modes from existing and a scattering condition right under the receiving port. Now i want to simulate the problem using Impedance BC on the metallic parts. So,do i have to change anything else in my problem? When i do apply IBS on the metallic parts, i cannot have form union,so i change the geometry to "form assembly",but this change does not allow me to have pmls where the ports are. Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Jun 29, 2021, 6:06 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 26, 2021, 4:35 p.m. EDT

Are you saying that your assignment of impedance boundaries on the metallic parts causes the model to not be able to form a union, while having them with PEC conditions instead allows a union to be formed? And you made no other changes? If so, that seems like very strange model behavior to me. If your model (or a similar one that you have) displays this behavior clearly/reproducibly, please post it to the forum so that those reading here can investigate it in more detail.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Are you saying that your assignment of impedance boundaries on the metallic parts causes the model to *not* be able to form a union, while having them with PEC conditions instead *allows* a union to be formed? And you made no other changes? If so, that seems like very strange model behavior to me. If your model (or a similar one that you have) displays this behavior clearly/reproducibly, please post it to the forum so that those reading here can investigate it in more detail.

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 27, 2021, 6:27 a.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Jun 27, 2021, 8:27 a.m. EDT

I have the exact same problem I wanted to simulate the example Frequency Selective Surface, Periodic Split Ring Resonator with impedance boundary condition instead of PEC (ie copper on the metallic parts). What should i do in terms of physics? Thank you in advance

I have the exact same problem I wanted to simulate the example Frequency Selective Surface, Periodic Split Ring Resonator with impedance boundary condition instead of PEC (ie copper on the metallic parts). What should i do in terms of physics? Thank you in advance

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 29, 2021, 6:06 a.m. EDT

So for anyone who is struggling with this type of simulation: If you want to put thick metal objects instead of pec you have to follow the steps below: 1) in the work plane,draw your flat objects 2) extrude them 3) in the electromagnetic waves,uncklick the domains(thick metal objects arised from extrude) from the simulation 4) the top boundaries of your object are now "exetrnal" boundaries,and you can apply IBC 5) reddit for the win

So for anyone who is struggling with this type of simulation: If you want to put thick metal objects instead of pec you have to follow the steps below: 1) in the work plane,draw your flat objects 2) extrude them 3) in the electromagnetic waves,uncklick the domains(thick metal objects arised from extrude) from the simulation 4) the top boundaries of your object are now "exetrnal" boundaries,and you can apply IBC 5) reddit for the win

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.