Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar Flow, Reynold number

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How to fix Reynold number in laminar flow? I have consider a rectangular geometry having a circular ostacle inside. I want to set Renold number as 100, 500, 1000 . Please help me if possible. Many thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post Jun 29, 2021, 10:49 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 29, 2021, 10:49 a.m. EDT

Hi. The Reynolds number is controlled by the different quantities defining it, specifically the length scale (like the size of the circular obstacle, not always), density, viscosity and velocity. If you wanted to increase the reynold's number, one way would be to increase your velocity by the same amount. So, if using a value of 1 m/s for the incoming velocity gives you a Re=10, increasing the velocity to 10 m/s would give you Re=100. You can also do the same thing by increasing your obstacle size. But, in most cases the geometry is fixed and the inflow velocity is the simplest knob.

Hi. The Reynolds number is controlled by the different quantities defining it, specifically the length scale (like the size of the circular obstacle, not always), density, viscosity and velocity. If you wanted to increase the reynold's number, one way would be to increase your velocity by the same amount. So, if using a value of 1 m/s for the incoming velocity gives you a Re=10, increasing the velocity to 10 m/s would give you Re=100. You can also do the same thing by increasing your obstacle size. But, in most cases the geometry is fixed and the inflow velocity is the simplest knob.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.