Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL5.6 crashes upon starting due to windows\system32\MSVCR120.dll

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! I am attempting to install COMSOL 56 using the online installer on a 64-bit version of Windows 10. COSMOL always crashes upon starting. My computer system inform: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz RAM: 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

Below is the error information form the Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: comsol.exe, version: 5.6.0.401, time stamp: 0x6089b7bb Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.40649.5, time stamp: 0x56bc00d3 Exception code: 0xc0000409 Fault offset: 0x000000000006dd27 Faulting process id: 0x2e4c Faulting application start time: 0x01d7d1244e5820ad Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\COMSOL\COMSOL56\Multiphysics_auth\bin\win64\comsol.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCR120.dll Report Id: e77aad8d-4910-4bc4-9a67-1cfb0c616611 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

The issue happens because there is already a MSVCR120.dll in my C:\Windows\SYSTEM32 which has a version different from the MSVCR120.dll used by COMSOL5.6. This MSVCR120.dll seems has been actively used by my NVidia software so it cannot be modified.

I have tried run ext/vcredist_x64.exe, however the version of MSVCR120.dll would not be able to change.

Really wish anyone who may experience the same issue to help.

7 Replies Last Post Nov 10, 2021, 2:00 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 6, 2021, 11:34 a.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Nov 6, 2021, 11:34 a.m. EDT

I've never had your problem, but unless there is something truly wrong with your computer, the best way to deal with a Comsol software installation issue is for you to contact the Comsol people who sold the software to you! You (or your employer) paid quite a bit for it and you should expect it to work. The Comsol folks also want for you to be able to use it (and to keep using it, and to keep paying for annual support/upgrades). That's how business and free enterprise work. If you don't know who to call, see https://www.comsol.com/contact . There are representatives in many countries, literally waiting to hear from you.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I've never had your problem, but unless there is something truly wrong with your computer, the best way to deal with a *Comsol* software *installation* issue is for you to contact the Comsol people who sold the software to you! You (or your employer) paid quite a bit for it and you should expect it to work. The Comsol folks also want for you to be able to use it (and to keep using it, and to keep paying for annual support/upgrades). That's how business and free enterprise work. If you don't know who to call, see https://www.comsol.com/contact . There are representatives in many countries, literally waiting to hear from you.

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 8, 2021, 5:07 a.m. EST

I've never had your problem, but unless there is something truly wrong with your computer, the best way to deal with a Comsol software installation issue is for you to contact the Comsol people who sold the software to you! You (or your employer) paid quite a bit for it and you should expect it to work. The Comsol folks also want for you to be able to use it (and to keep using it, and to keep paying for annual support/upgrades). That's how business and free enterprise work. If you don't know who to call, see https://www.comsol.com/contact . There are representatives in many countries, literally waiting to hear from you.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I am just a cheap student. I got the trial license before making the decision to fork out for this expensive license. If this software doesnt work on my computer, I will definitely not buy it.

>I've never had your problem, but unless there is something truly wrong with your computer, the best way to deal with a *Comsol* software *installation* issue is for you to contact the Comsol people who sold the software to you! You (or your employer) paid quite a bit for it and you should expect it to work. The Comsol folks also want for you to be able to use it (and to keep using it, and to keep paying for annual support/upgrades). That's how business and free enterprise work. If you don't know who to call, see https://www.comsol.com/contact . There are representatives in many countries, literally waiting to hear from you. Thank you very much for the suggestion. I am just a cheap student. I got the trial license before making the decision to fork out for this expensive license. If this software doesnt work on my computer, I will definitely not buy it.

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 8, 2021, 5:12 a.m. EST

An update to the problem. I have tried the installation on two different laptops with NVidia GPU. The same issue has happened on two different computers. On both computers, the MSVCR120.dll of different version has been used by the NVidia GPU software. I have tried all the solutions suggested by the support team, none of them works.

I really hope this issue can be raised to attention because this is really a very serious issue. One would not buy the license of COMSOL if this software cannot be installed on any of his computers. I do hope to get an updated response if this issue can really be effectively solved.

An update to the problem. I have tried the installation on two different laptops with NVidia GPU. The same issue has happened on two different computers. On both computers, the MSVCR120.dll of different version has been used by the NVidia GPU software. I have tried all the solutions suggested by the support team, none of them works. I really hope this issue can be raised to attention because this is really a very serious issue. One would not buy the license of COMSOL if this software cannot be installed on any of his computers. I do hope to get an updated response if this issue can really be effectively solved.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 8, 2021, 8:34 a.m. EST

Hi,

Have you tried starting COMSOL 5.6 using software rendering? You can set it up before launching COMSOL in the preference file in the .comsol directory under your user directory as

graphics.rendering.3drend=sw

(the default is ogl for OpenGL rendering)

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi, Have you tried starting COMSOL 5.6 using software rendering? You can set it up before launching COMSOL in the preference file in the `.comsol` directory under your user directory as `graphics.rendering.3drend=sw` (the default is `ogl` for OpenGL rendering) Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 9, 2021, 4:33 a.m. EST
Updated: 3 years ago Nov 9, 2021, 4:33 a.m. EST

Hi Magnus,

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have tried with adding " -3drend sw" into the target line in shortcut.

The same issue still happens and nothing changed. I guess it may not be the rendering issue.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Regards Roy

Hi,

Have you tried starting COMSOL 5.6 using software rendering? You can set it up before launching COMSOL in the preference file in the .comsol directory under your user directory as

graphics.rendering.3drend=sw

(the default is ogl for OpenGL rendering)

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Magnus, Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have tried with adding " -3drend sw" into the target line in shortcut. The same issue still happens and nothing changed. I guess it may not be the rendering issue. Thank you very much for the suggestion. Regards Roy >Hi, > >Have you tried starting COMSOL 5.6 using software rendering? You can set it up before launching COMSOL in the preference file in the `.comsol` directory under your user directory as > >`graphics.rendering.3drend=sw` > >(the default is `ogl` for OpenGL rendering) > >Best regards, > >Magnus

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 9, 2021, 4:35 a.m. EST

Hi Robert,

Thanks for you suggestion. I did contact the local representatives of COMSOL. It turns out that they dont really maintain a local technical team to support on site but rather ask me to post on the support case online.....

>I've never had your problem, but unless there is something truly wrong with your computer, the best way to deal with a *Comsol* software *installation* issue is for you to contact the Comsol people who sold the software to you! You (or your employer) paid quite a bit for it and you should expect it to work. The Comsol folks also want for you to be able to use it (and to keep using it, and to keep paying for annual support/upgrades). That's how business and free enterprise work. If you don't know who to call, see https://www.comsol.com/contact . There are representatives in many countries, literally waiting to hear from you. Hi Robert, Thanks for you suggestion. I did contact the local representatives of COMSOL. It turns out that they dont really maintain a local technical team to support on site but rather ask me to post on the support case online.....

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 10, 2021, 2:00 a.m. EST

Update

I have copied the file C:\Program Files\COMSOL\COMSOL56\Multiphysics\java\win64\jre\bin\msvcr120.dll to the directory C:\Program Files\COMSOL\COMSOL56\Multiphysics\bin\win64\ .

The same issue but a different msg has been shown.

Update I have copied the file C:\Program Files\COMSOL\COMSOL56\Multiphysics\java\win64\jre\bin\msvcr120.dll to the directory C:\Program Files\COMSOL\COMSOL56\Multiphysics\bin\win64\ . The same issue but a different msg has been shown.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.