Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pulsed Laser heating problem - won't cool to ambient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I have attempted to create a simulation using the Heat Transfer In Solids package in COMSOL which involves the optical heating of a thin film ontop of a silicon wafer by a single laser pulse. I have modelled the pulse spatially by a Gaussian beam perpendicular to the surface of the 3D domain, and temporally by a piecewise step function, which behave correctly.

Problems arise however when I attempt to solve for time dependent solutions for the temperature in the centre of the irradiated area. No matter what fix I try I cannot get the finite domain to cool back to the ambient temperature as expected - instead I find that the temperature will drop steadily and then plateau at a value higher than the ambient temperature.

I guess this is something to do with the boundaries I have set but it seems to be the standard choice (even in the case of the demonstration Laser Heating of a Silicon Wafer application ID: 13835). At the surface boundary I have set Surface to Ambient, whereas in the case of the boundaries perpendicular to the irradiated surface I have set as open boundaries. My assumption is that what is going on is that the domain is insulated perpendicular to the beam incidence, and equilibriates to a temperature based on the heat deposited by the laser pulse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if you need further elaboration.

Many thanks, Dan

2 Replies Last Post Nov 30, 2021, 7:46 a.m. EST
Amin Kazemi Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Toronto

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 8, 2021, 7:44 a.m. EST

In this case:

1) I would multiply the heat transfer coefficient (h) by a large number (i.e. 1000) to see if the slow rate of cooling is the reason.

2) If you have defined the laser heating by a piecewise or interpolation function, make sure it is defined over the whole range of simulation time. Otherwise, COMSOL extrapolates it and the laser radation may not stop.

In this case: 1) I would multiply the heat transfer coefficient (h) by a large number (i.e. 1000) to see if the slow rate of cooling is the reason. 2) If you have defined the laser heating by a piecewise or interpolation function, make sure it is defined over the whole range of simulation time. Otherwise, COMSOL extrapolates it and the laser radation may not stop.

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 30, 2021, 7:46 a.m. EST

Hi Amin,

Thanks for your response. I have tried to implent the increased h to no avail. Also defining the simulation range to be longer than the piecewise input does not result in the domain cooling to ambient even for time where t_sim>>t_pulse. I suspect that this is primarily a problem with the definition of the boundaries. Setting open boundaries provides a cheap but incorrect solution to my problem. In any case thank you very much for your support.

Best regards, Dan

Hi Amin, Thanks for your response. I have tried to implent the increased h to no avail. Also defining the simulation range to be longer than the piecewise input does not result in the domain cooling to ambient even for time where t_sim>>t_pulse. I suspect that this is primarily a problem with the definition of the boundaries. Setting open boundaries provides a cheap but incorrect solution to my problem. In any case thank you very much for your support. Best regards, Dan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.