Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

MicroCantilever damping in Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am pursuing simulating frequency domain response of a cantilever (PVDF). I have done the Eigen frequency analysis and happy with the results (close to the theoretical). Now, I wanted to perform a frequency domain response with the effect of damping. The cantilever is 40micron thick, 4mm in length and 1mm in width My questions are: 1. How to get loss factor parameters for PVDF - Is it available anywhere in the literature or would it require another set of simulations with the dimensions/properties of my cantilever to yield a frequency dependent loss factor. 2. Also, what if I have multiple such cantilevers in a single design with varying lengths. As I understand, we can only input one loss factor for one design. What happens if the actual damping is geometry dependent (which I think it will be, atleast for the transient analysis), leading to the consideration that different length cantilevers will have different damping. 3. From previous discussions, I have understood that loss factor is good enough for frequency domain analysis but will be better to have Rayleigh damping parameters for time domain analysis. How can I find/calculate Rayleigh parameters for PVDF?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 4, 2022, 9:48 p.m. EST
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 4, 2022, 9:48 p.m. EST

Damping parameters are less often reported in the literature (make that much less often). In addition they are likely to be fabrication-dependent.

Your options are (1) the literature or (2) your own measurements.

Damping parameters are less often reported in the literature (make that much less often). In addition they are likely to be fabrication-dependent. Your options are (1) the literature or (2) your own measurements.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.