Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spherical Acoustic Resonance Frequencies of a Basketball

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Publications/Basketball.pdf I'm trying to recreate the results of this paper in COMSOL and I'm wondering what general model setup I should use. Essentially I'm trying to simulate smacking a basketball and finding the spherical acoustic frequencies. My current isetup is I have a thin sphere made of a solid material filled with air and surrounded by air. The air inside the ball has a much higher pressure than the air on the outside. I then use the solid mechanics and acoustic pressure frequency domain modules to set up my initial conditions. So I guess my question is what other modules should I be using and what studies should i use to replicate the mode shapes and resonance frequencies found in the study?

Attached below is my current setup

1 Reply Last Post Feb 22, 2022, 3:21 a.m. EST
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 22, 2022, 3:21 a.m. EST

You should start out with pure acoustics, and investigate the modes and compare with the paper, before including structural mechanics.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
You should start out with pure acoustics, and investigate the modes and compare with the paper, before including structural mechanics.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.