Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fault slip model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, there. i want to discuss about the "fault slip" model with all together (static, linear elastic model). The basic concept of this model do not organized by giving the displacement of the fault for some direction.

I want to make the fault movement behavior is similar to the natural fault in the underground. (if you have any insights on geomechanics, you can know that the "natural fault" slip to the plane's tangential direction and it occurs by the principal stresses acting on the rock body).

For doing this, i just make a 101010 m cubic with granite material (60GPa for young's modulus, 0.25 poisson's ratio and 2600 density). also i make a thin planer layer inside the cubic and give them as a very soft mechanical properties (0.01 GPa for young's modulus, 0.25 poisson and 2500 density) to slip naturally.

For boundary condition, i make the boundary load(force per area) is acting as three principal stress. (SH = 94 MPa, Sv=25MPa, Sh=19MPa as a compressive stress) bottom and two of the lateral sides are given as roller.

if i do this simple model, the fault displacement do not occur to the fault plane's tangential direction (you can see the photo at the botttom of url).

*why this things are occur, and how can i make the fault slips more naturally?

I need your wisdom

+) if i act the roller to the one side of fault, to make that moves tangentially, the stress along the fault concentrate excessively... ![https://blog.naver.com/minji4807/222672424900]

0 Replies Last Post Mar 14, 2022, 4:21 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kang Minzy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.