Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time dependent solver vs. time step vs. initial step

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

To whom it may concern

For this time dependent simulation, I calculate initial values & BCs from a stationary simulation, I need to run for range(0,2592000,946080000).

It run infinity without returning any results. So, I tried one of these accordingly:

1. range(0,31536000,946080000)
2. range(0,315360000,946080000)
3. run 1. and 2. with initial time step: 0.000864
4. run 1. and 2. with relative tolerence: 0.1 and absolute tolerence: 0.01
5. use 'physics-controlled mesh' instead
6. at solver configuration\solver\time-dependent solver\segregated\segregated step 1 & 2, use linear solver:iterative
7. uncheck 'update scaled absolute tolerence'

Actually, at 'solver configuration', when I 'compute to selected' at 'dependent variables', it returns time = 0 (temperature, pressure etc), but once I start 'time dependent solver', it runs infinity again.

I attached the time dependent model. Looking forward to hearing your expertise. Many thanks!

ps: I rebuilt this model from scratch on COMSOL 4.3

regards
Liwah

0 Replies Last Post Jul 26, 2012, 11:40 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello LiWah Wong

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.