Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Compute vs Update Solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys!

I am modeling some TENGs in COMSOL Multiphysics, and after changing a couple parameters I wanted to re-do a parametric sweep but i'm unsure which option to use: compute vs update solution. I saw there was a similar question posted here, but they only referenced to the manual by page number. I opened the manual through the program but there are no page numbers (I tried clicking on the pdf button but nothing happens, I can only look at the manual in this sort of online page version) so I cannot find the answer to that question. Thank you in advance for the help guys.

2 Replies Last Post Jun 11, 2022, 4:11 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Jun 10, 2022, 3:16 p.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Jun 10, 2022, 3:19 p.m. EDT

Hello Sebastian,

1/ It's odd that the pdf does not open properly for you within the GUI, but you can still access the pdf documentation as it is found in the COMSOL installation folder. Look for a path similar to this:

C:\Program Files\COMSOL\COMSOL60\Multiphysics\doc\pdf

2/ From what I read between the lines of your email, you need to compute the model again, not just update the solution. Update Solution is used in those cases where you added information into the model that does not affect the variables that are solved for by the model but affects postprocessing. If you add information that affects the variables that are solved for, then you need to Compute.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Sebastian, 1/ It's odd that the pdf does not open properly for you within the GUI, but you can still access the pdf documentation as it is found in the COMSOL installation folder. Look for a path similar to this: C:\Program Files\COMSOL\COMSOL60\Multiphysics\doc\pdf 2/ From what I read between the lines of your email, you need to compute the model again, not just update the solution. Update Solution is used in those cases where you added information into the model that does not affect the variables that are solved for by the model but affects postprocessing. If you add information that affects the variables that are solved for, then you need to Compute. Jeff

Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Jun 11, 2022, 4:11 a.m. EDT

As Jeff says, if the parameters affect for example the geometry, you will have to compute again. For other types of parameters (like a scaling or whatever), you can typically update. For those types of parameters, it might be better in general to use an Auxilliary Sweep.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
As Jeff says, if the parameters affect for example the geometry, you will have to compute again. For other types of parameters (like a scaling or whatever), you can typically update. For those types of parameters, it might be better in general to use an Auxilliary Sweep.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.