Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric potential issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model electric potential in a thin plate. When I am applying the voltage of 6.5 kV on electrode, I am getting same values of potential in the plate i.e there is no interaction between the electrode and flat plate. Please have a look at the photo attached

2 Replies Last Post Jul 11, 2022, 8:47 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Jul 9, 2022, 9:04 a.m. EDT

There are a number of possible errors here and your figure doesn't make it obvious (at least to me) which kind of error you have. What areas did you mesh? What boundary conditions did you specify? Etc. I suggest you do TWO things: (1) Post your model (the .mph file) to the forum, and (2) post a picture in which you have drawn and labeled your surfaces and materials, and show us (the people reading this forum) what potentials you are attempting to apply to what surfaces. If you do that, and if you don't leave out important details, then you will almost certainly obtain an answer here that tells you exactly what you did wrong and what you need to do to fix it!

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
There are a number of possible errors here and your figure doesn't make it obvious (at least to me) which kind of error you have. What areas did you mesh? What boundary conditions did you specify? Etc. I suggest you do TWO things: (1) Post your model (the .mph file) to the forum, and (2) post a picture in which you have drawn and labeled your surfaces and materials, and show us (the people reading this forum) what potentials you are attempting to apply to what surfaces. If you do that, and if you don't leave out important details, then you will almost certainly obtain an answer here that tells you exactly what you did wrong and what you need to do to fix it!

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Jul 11, 2022, 8:47 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Jul 18, 2022, 2:28 p.m. EDT

Hello Kushagra,

Looks like you may be modeling what's essentially a capacitor, and that you included in the geometry the electrodes (which you typically shouldn't) but not the dielectric (which you should). If those guesses are correct, this MEMS capacitor model is a good starting point for you. If my guesses are wrong, then follow Robert's advice and give readers of this Forum more info on what you are trying to model and attach your mph file.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Kushagra, Looks like you may be modeling what's essentially a capacitor, and that you included in the geometry the electrodes (which you typically shouldn't) but not the dielectric (which you should). If those guesses are correct, this [MEMS capacitor model](https://www.comsol.com/model/tunable-mems-capacitor-123) is a good starting point for you. If my guesses are wrong, then follow Robert's advice and give readers of this Forum more info on what you are trying to model and attach your mph file. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.