Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material relative permittivity and the electrostatic force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am creating a model to see the effect of an object's relative permittivity and the attractive force that is generated by bipolar electrodes (applied voltage).

I am using an Electrostatics study. I have two electrodes (one is +150V, and the other is -150 V). Below the electrodes, I have a dielectric object (acrylic plastic), which relative permittivity I change.

In theory, the result should be a linear line that passes through the (0,0) point, and the force will increase linearly as the relative permittivity increases. That is not the case for my model.

You can see a screenshot of the plot below. Note: the y-axis shows a normalized version of the attractive force https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N_wZy_B5gjndK2k_3LCZCXRXUCW_20L1/view?usp=sharing

Can anybody please explain what is happening? Are the results correct? Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post Jul 12, 2022, 1:46 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jeremy Gavriel

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.