Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL 2D vs 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating a microchannel and using the microfluidic module. I use the transport of diluted species to see the concetntration profile. I use both 2d and 3d simulations. When i do the 2d vs 3d i see the concentration profiles are virtually similar. In 2d you dont put the height of the channel, does comsol assumes any 2d model and does the simulation assuming its in 3d space and makes a 3d profile?

1 Reply Last Post Aug 31, 2022, 8:35 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Aug 31, 2022, 8:35 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Aug 31, 2022, 8:37 a.m. EDT

Hello Bhuwan,

No. When you perform a 3D analysis in COMSOL, the software does in fact perform a full-fledged 3D analysis. It does not extrapolate from a 2D analysis.

What is going on in your 3D analysis is that its results happen not to depend much (if at all) on the perpendicular direction. This is the result of your model inputs, not of the software design.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Bhuwan, No. When you perform a 3D analysis in COMSOL, the software does in fact perform a full-fledged 3D analysis. It does not extrapolate from a 2D analysis. What is going on in your 3D analysis is that its results happen not to depend much (if at all) on the perpendicular direction. This is the result of your model inputs, not of the software design. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.