Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to make two boundary lines move in parallel?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to know how to make two boudnary lines (or two components) move in parallel. In the model attached, one line (domain 1) is fixed, and I want to keep the other line (domain 12) parallel to the fixed line.

I cannot find any built-in features suitable for this problem. Is it possible to use weak constraints to solve the problem? And how?

Thanks in advance for your help.

With regards, Zhaozhen

2 Replies Last Post Dec 5, 2022, 8:35 a.m. EST

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 5, 2022, 6:16 a.m. EST

use a Prescribed Displacement condition for your domain 12, then enter the constraints that will ensure it remains parallel to domain 1.

Mark

use a Prescribed Displacement condition for your domain 12, then enter the constraints that will ensure it remains parallel to domain 1. Mark

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 5, 2022, 8:35 a.m. EST
Updated: 2 years ago Dec 5, 2022, 8:36 a.m. EST

I cannot see any attached model, but it sounds a bit similar to this example, where two boundaries are parallel, but at a distance determined by the solution (the criterion is zero force resultant).

https://www.comsol.com/model/thermo-mechanical-analysis-of-a-surface-mounted-resistor-481

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
I cannot see any attached model, but it sounds a bit similar to this example, where two boundaries are parallel, but at a distance determined by the solution (the criterion is zero force resultant).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.