Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scattering from nanoparticles

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I've simulated with COMSOL 4.3, the scattering of a multi wavelength light from different kind of nano particles, plotting the scattering, absorption and extinction cross section as function of wavelength. The graphs I've uploaded are related to the scattering from a nanosphere with r=30nm and a nano disk with r=50nm and h=40 nm.

I'm able to see the Scattering Cross Section peak linked with the localized plasmon resonance of the two structures (500nm for nano sphere and 550nm for the nano disk ) but I don't know why I'm having for the nanosphere a strong absorption for smaller wavelength (around 200nm).

I don't think could be linked with some kind of error in the model because I've done a comparison with an online mie scattering simulator that show me the same kind of graph.

Any idea about the physics involved?

This rise of the cross section signal for lower wavelength disappear when I increase the particles dimensions.

Thanks for your time

Adriano

2 Replies Last Post Jan 10, 2013, 10:28 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adriano Colombelli

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2013, 9:05 a.m. EST
Can you please upload the mph file?
Can you please upload the mph file?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2013, 10:28 a.m. EST
www.amazon.com/Optical-Properties-Clusters-Springer-Materials/dp/3540578366
http://www.amazon.com/Optical-Properties-Clusters-Springer-Materials/dp/3540578366

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.