Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh extrusion: how to define subdomain settings and boundary conditions?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
when doing "mesh extrusion" and creating a multilayer 3D structure starting from a 2D one, we have problems in defining the subdomain settings and boundary conditions. Can anyone help me on this easy problem?
Thank you in advance

Lucia

4 Replies Last Post Feb 22, 2010, 5:29 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2010, 2:51 p.m. EST
Hi,

Are you talking about "mesh extrusion" or "extrusion coupling variable" ?? it is different!!Could you clarify??

For the first one, you don't need to specify sub-domain/boundary settings, it's an extrusion of your mesh following a certain direction!!!

The second one, Yes, you need to specify which variables are you going to extrude on the sub-domains and also the boundaries!! So you have to make a connection between the source variable (geom1) to the destination variable (geom2).

There is a clear example in the manual, you can follow the instruction step by step.

I hope it helps

Cheers
Hi, Are you talking about "mesh extrusion" or "extrusion coupling variable" ?? it is different!!Could you clarify?? For the first one, you don't need to specify sub-domain/boundary settings, it's an extrusion of your mesh following a certain direction!!! The second one, Yes, you need to specify which variables are you going to extrude on the sub-domains and also the boundaries!! So you have to make a connection between the source variable (geom1) to the destination variable (geom2). There is a clear example in the manual, you can follow the instruction step by step. I hope it helps Cheers

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2010, 12:18 p.m. EST
Hi
I do not really understand what "problem" you have ? Once created a 3D geometry with the extruded geoemtry, you call the Multiphysics Model Navigator to define some 3D physics (application modes) on this new geoemtry, and off you go, no ?

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not really understand what "problem" you have ? Once created a 3D geometry with the extruded geoemtry, you call the Multiphysics Model Navigator to define some 3D physics (application modes) on this new geoemtry, and off you go, no ? Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2010, 5:26 a.m. EST
Hi,
we made a very "stupid" mistake: we were working on a 2D geometry. The solution is starting from choosing a 3D geometry from the beginning, otherwise Comsol doesn't know the equations in the 3D space we obtain when we extrude. We first choose a plane in the 3D space (Workplane Settings), we draw the 2D geometry, do a mesh and extrude in the 3D space.
I guess those are very easy things for every-day Comsol users.
Thanks
Hi, we made a very "stupid" mistake: we were working on a 2D geometry. The solution is starting from choosing a 3D geometry from the beginning, otherwise Comsol doesn't know the equations in the 3D space we obtain when we extrude. We first choose a plane in the 3D space (Workplane Settings), we draw the 2D geometry, do a mesh and extrude in the 3D space. I guess those are very easy things for every-day Comsol users. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2010, 5:29 a.m. EST
.. you can also define a 3D physics "after you extrude", that's right. We were simply wrong in choosing a 2D geometry with a 2D physics!
Thank you all, anyway.
.. you can also define a 3D physics "after you extrude", that's right. We were simply wrong in choosing a 2D geometry with a 2D physics! Thank you all, anyway.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.