Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reacting flow, diluted species

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am currently simulating the reaction of a dilute compound which flows through a cylindrical tube under laminar flow conditions.

I am trying to use the physics method "Reacting flow, diluted species" to simulate this. However, Comsol keeps giving me an error and won't execute my model (even when I didn't add a reaction).

I know it is possible to solve the model for the chosen input because I made it before using 2 separate studies. In the first study I used only the "Laminar flow" physics which gave me my velocity profile.
Then I used the velocity profile of my first study in my second study which has "Transport of a diluted species" as physics. This resulted in a reaction profile under laminar flow conditions (which is what I want).

Now it is my understanding that the physics "Reacting flow, diluted species" is a combination of "Laminar flow" and "Transport of a diluted species"... Or am I wrong?

Anyway it would be very helpful if I could have only 1 study which simulates my model (for practical reasons regarding a parametric sweep and such).

I'll attach both files to this discussion.

Thank you in advance,

Rik

1 Reply Last Post Jan 10, 2013, 10:28 a.m. EST
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2013, 10:28 a.m. EST
Dear Rik,

in this case you are simulating Reacting Flow in Porous Media, Diluted Species. Therefore this is not equal your other model.
What you might want to try is calculate both physics in one study, this should also solve your issue.

Best regards,
Frank

ps. you might want to set your diffusion to a very low value instead of 0.
Dear Rik, in this case you are simulating Reacting Flow in Porous Media, Diluted Species. Therefore this is not equal your other model. What you might want to try is calculate both physics in one study, this should also solve your issue. Best regards, Frank ps. you might want to set your diffusion to a very low value instead of 0.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.