Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Predefined rigid body movement in a laminar flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to model a predefined rigid body (cross-section of a bridge deck) movement in a laminar fluid flow. The deck should be moved in a harmonic oscillation (heaving or pitching) at a specific amplitude and frequency (after which I want to analyze the forces acting on the deck). My problem is how do I go about achieving this predefined motion? I'm new to COMSOL and I've tried some tutorials and reading topics on this forum.

My first approach was to use the laminar flow physics. But I could not get a moving boundary, do I need to add some physics? Like a moving mesh?
Or should I use the fluid-structure-Interaction module? This seems like a little overkill to me, since I do not want to model a deforming structure...
Or something else?

I would very much appreciate some advise on which approach to take!

Thanks,
Maria

2 Replies Last Post Mar 24, 2014, 10:17 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 9, 2013, 3:37 p.m. EST
Hi

if I read you correctly your rigid structure does not really deform but it moves in space to change the shape of the fluid volume, if so, for me its typically FSI as your fluid volume changes shape, and in FSI you have all three strucural, CFD and ALE combined in a nicely pre-cooked way

But I do agree its somewhat "heavy", if you do not need the "solid" as such you could try with only the FCD flow and an ALE and prescribe the mesh with the motion of your "rigid bod"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if I read you correctly your rigid structure does not really deform but it moves in space to change the shape of the fluid volume, if so, for me its typically FSI as your fluid volume changes shape, and in FSI you have all three strucural, CFD and ALE combined in a nicely pre-cooked way But I do agree its somewhat "heavy", if you do not need the "solid" as such you could try with only the FCD flow and an ALE and prescribe the mesh with the motion of your "rigid bod" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 24, 2014, 10:17 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I am having the same problem. Could anyone help me please ?
Hi, I am having the same problem. Could anyone help me please ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.