Assistance Needed for Simulating Dielectric and Mechanical Losses in SAW Devices

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am currently simulating a one-port SAW device in COMSOL, focusing on incorporating both dielectric and mechanical losses into the linear materials of Si and Mo, with Mo serving as the IDTs and Si as the substrate where the AlN film (piezoelectric) is deposited. Initially, I used the 'Damping' subnode for mechanical loss, setting it up as an isotropic loss factor, but I am unsure how to simulate dielectric loss. My questions are: (1) Is it correct to use 'Damping' as a form of mechanical loss? (2) Which subnode should be used for dielectric loss in the case of linear elastic material?

The images attached to this annex illustrate the physics nodes I am implementing in my model, along with the damping configuration for the linear elastic material as previously mentioned.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

T.M. Vieira

1 Reply Last Post Jun 28, 2024, 1:11 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 days ago Jun 28, 2024, 1:11 p.m. EDT

Hi,

you would typically apply a complex dielectric permittivity if you operate the model in the frequency domain. Check the details in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_loss

Cheers

Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, you would typically apply a complex dielectric permittivity if you operate the model in the frequency domain. Check the details in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_loss Cheers Edgar

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.