Pressure acoustics scaling factor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Can somebody please explain the purpose of the scaling factor in the pressure acoustics interface?

I see in the acoustics module user guide that it says the default scaling factor is 1/omega^2, but I don't understand why this is the scaling factor or what its purpose is or how it affects results.

3 Replies Last Post Jul 8, 2024, 4:20 a.m. EDT
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 days ago Jul 8, 2024, 3:28 a.m. EDT

I believe this is for improved accuracy. If certain terms in a equations are emphasized due to a frequency term, it might be beneficial to apply a scaling. You can always set it to 1 and to the default and then compare results across a wide frequency range.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
I believe this is for improved accuracy. If certain terms in a equations are emphasized due to a frequency term, it might be beneficial to apply a scaling. You can always set it to 1 and to the default and then compare results across a wide frequency range.

Posted: 2 days ago Jul 8, 2024, 4:14 a.m. EDT

Thanks, René. I am not sure I understand how this affects accuracy, do you know where I can read more about this.

I was modelling acoustic resonance and found that the resonance frequency of my system was around 0.5 MHz higher with the scaling set to 1.

>I believe this is for improved accuracy. If certain terms in a equations are emphasized due to a frequency term, it might be beneficial to apply a scaling. You can always set it to 1 and to the default and then compare results across a wide frequency range. Thanks, René. I am not sure I understand how this affects accuracy, do you know where I can read more about this. I was modelling acoustic resonance and found that the resonance frequency of my system was around 0.5 MHz higher with the scaling set to 1.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 days ago Jul 8, 2024, 4:20 a.m. EDT

Hi Peter,

In general, numerical calculations benefit from terms of about equal magnitude. Here is an overview of what's called "error cancellation" (for example, when two terms have markedly different magnitude): https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/error-cancellation.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Peter, In general, numerical calculations benefit from terms of about equal magnitude. Here is an overview of what's called "error cancellation" (for example, when two terms have markedly different magnitude): . Best regards, Magnus

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.