Geometric deformation calculation problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner with COMSOL and currently attempting to simulate the compression in asperities contact. Under the 2D assumption, I have two rock blocks pressing against each other, where the upper rock block moves downward with a specific displacement per hour, and the lower rock block is fixed.(Fig.1.)

I have some questions regarding the results:

1. Although the upper rock block moves downward over time, it seems that the original frame lines remain in place.(Fig.2.&Fig.3.) Is this because the mesh hasn't actually displaced? Is there a way to make it move?

2. When the contact points are pressed together, they deform, but not in the way I expected.(Fig.4.) Is it possible to simulate the fracture of the contact points upon compression?

Thanks for your reading! I am looking forward to your reply!

Nick

1 Reply Last Post Jul 29, 2024, 10:33 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 hours ago Jul 29, 2024, 10:33 a.m. EDT

Where the black edges are drawn is determined by a combination of the settings under Plot dataset edges in the settings for the plot group, and the frame selection in the settings for the dataset.

If you want the compressed material to fail, you must first decide on a failure criterion, and then find appropriate parameters. Is it, for example, plastic deformation, or should the material be considered as brittle?

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Where the black edges are drawn is determined by a combination of the settings under *Plot dataset edges* in the settings for the plot group, and the frame selection in the settings for the dataset. If you want the compressed material to fail, you must first decide on a failure criterion, and then find appropriate parameters. Is it, for example, plastic deformation, or should the material be considered as brittle?

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.