Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

a question of memoy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I have one question about memory! My computer have 90G Memory and 12 CPU,when compute the case,maxium 12G used,still have 78G memory is not occupied,my version is 4.3, win7 64bit;how can i fully use my memory? thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Jan 23, 2013, 4:27 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 22, 2013, 1:32 a.m. EST
Hi

COMSOL will use the amount of RAM needed, not more, a 90GBram would take some 3-4MDofs, your model is probably much lighter. Try to mesh far finer you will use far more, but your model will take more time to solve

Do not forget that it's not only the amount of RAM that counts but also how much per CPU and how fast the CPU's can communicate with the RAM, that is often the bottleneck.

Furthermore I never run more than half my CPU count, as the multithreaded access does not really speed up (at least not in Windows), and then I kepp a few CPU for OS housekeeping and to reply to my keyboard inputs and screen outputs ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL will use the amount of RAM needed, not more, a 90GBram would take some 3-4MDofs, your model is probably much lighter. Try to mesh far finer you will use far more, but your model will take more time to solve Do not forget that it's not only the amount of RAM that counts but also how much per CPU and how fast the CPU's can communicate with the RAM, that is often the bottleneck. Furthermore I never run more than half my CPU count, as the multithreaded access does not really speed up (at least not in Windows), and then I kepp a few CPU for OS housekeeping and to reply to my keyboard inputs and screen outputs ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 23, 2013, 4:27 a.m. EST
Thanks for u answer!
Thanks for u answer!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.