Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Issue with temperature distribution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using COMSOL for simulating heat generated by current through a metal bar for my 3rd year dissertation project.

I am having an issue with the output following the simulation.

I have applied a terminal current to one end of the bar, and a ground to the other, along with appropriate heat transfer values for convective cooling etc. I would expect a linear heat distribution across the bar, with it being hottest towards the terminal end, and coolest at the ground end. Instead of this, the output shows sort of a concentric circle based distribution moving out from the centre of the bar, so that the corners are coolest.

Any help as to how I am going wrong, and how to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I am on a tight deadline to complete this for my project.

Many Thanks,

Best Regards,

Spencer Mintram.

2 Replies Last Post Jan 22, 2013, 3:02 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 22, 2013, 11:54 a.m. EST
Hi
when performing multiphysics, do not forget that you must give enough BC conditions for ALL dependent variables, so often you need several BC (i.e. a symmetry for HT and one for EC and ...) I suspect that you have an electric GND, but not a fixed temperature set up, GND is for electric currents, a Fixed Temperature boundary is also required if you dump out heat flux on your GND connections

But this is a pure guess as you have not provided any detailed info about your model ;) I might be all wrong too ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi when performing multiphysics, do not forget that you must give enough BC conditions for ALL dependent variables, so often you need several BC (i.e. a symmetry for HT and one for EC and ...) I suspect that you have an electric GND, but not a fixed temperature set up, GND is for electric currents, a Fixed Temperature boundary is also required if you dump out heat flux on your GND connections But this is a pure guess as you have not provided any detailed info about your model ;) I might be all wrong too ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 22, 2013, 3:02 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

I'll look into this at the next opportunity, sounds like you may be right with some of the BC and HT, I am new to the software and probably set them up wrong.

Many Thanks,
Spencer.
Hi Ivar, I'll look into this at the next opportunity, sounds like you may be right with some of the BC and HT, I am new to the software and probably set them up wrong. Many Thanks, Spencer.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.