Meshing problem for wave optics simulation - Nb nanolayer on sapphire substrate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey, So I am modelling the reflectance spectrum of a Niobium nanolayer kept on a sapphire substrate such that the nanolayer dimensions are 30mmx30mmx3000nm and sapphire substrate dimensions are 30mmx30mmx0.5mm with both of them aligned Nb on sapphire perfectly.

The catch is, the Nb nanolayer has 'slits' ( cuboid holes basically) in it of the dimension 30mmx300nmx1000nm such that the slits open on the top of the nanolayer and there are 20 of them seperated by a spacing of 1.5mm. Light is being incident on the nanolayer (and hence the slits) and I want to check ref, abs, trans of the whole device.

I have spent a lot of time trying different kinds of meshes on this device with no success. Either the problems are with the very fine and small dimensions edges or boundaries or the problem is the mesh failed to respect boundary/face in a domain. I have also tried removing details / virtual operations but I dont want to remove the slits which are the necessary details affecting the physics and causing most of the meshing problems.

It would be very helpful if yall could help me with how to go about meshing the device because I really think this should be possible. I am attaching a couple of images for reference.

Thanks a bunch!

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.